Sunday 23 November 2014

Put T' Wood In T' Hole!

Today I took the door over to the shed. The moment of truth...would it fit? Would I need to mullah the frame or the door? Well, it almost fitted from the get go! I just needed to trim the upper and lower parts of the door frame for height, and then I seasonally adjusted the door stop strips to adjust for the slight warp on the door. It may not be perfect, but it's more than good enough for me. Weathertight, windproof and secure.


The door from the inside. Gapping round the door is approximately 1mm on each side, Close enough for ministry work and hopefully enough to allow just enough for expansion and contraction. I'm happy with the fit.


The balance is pretty good too, and although I didn't actually check the door with a spirit level, there is no tendency for it to swing open or closed when ajar, so I think it went up pretty square.


From the outside, it still looks a little odd without the final cladding on the front, but I'm happy with the semi-rustic look. It fills the hole securely, keeps out the weather and with rubber sealing strips in place, it won't rattle in a Force 3 breeze. 


Yes, it's beginning to look like an office. Even with just the breathable membrane covering the frame, inside with the door shut you can feel that the weather is being kept out. There is a noticeable difference between indoor and outdoor temperature, thanks to the translucent roof and the sunshine we had today.


From the rear of the body, the whole shebang is now starting to look pretty much as planned. You now get a feel of 'shed' rather than a feel of 'Nightfreight'. Once the internal framing has been insulated with Kingspan and clad, it should be a nice cosy enclosed space.

No comments:

Post a Comment