Thursday 27 November 2014

Nearly...but not quite

Grrrr...I thought I was there today, I really did, but ended up being snookered by a schoolboy error.

Shiplap timber is rarer than hen's teeth in Jewsons. I think I had their last two random pieces back in July when I fettled a couple of planters for the garden, and they still haven't had fresh supplies in. Torn over where to source it, I considered Mount Trading in Aberystwyth or Huws Gray over at Bow Street, but was a bit reticent about carrying extra long loads for long distances at any speed on Pudgy's roof-bars. It then occured to me that there is a Travis Perkins in Lampeter, so I headed over that way this morning on the off-chance they might have some in,

Glory be, they did. In 4.2m lengths too, and I'd very carefully calculated that I could clad the entire surface area I needed to with six pieces 125mm wide. Only, I didn't allow for the overlap of about 20mm between two pieces, so I ended up a couple of planks short. Never mind - they have plenty more in stock so I'll scoop up a couple more at the weekend.

But, with what I did have to hand, I've done about 85% of the front wall!


Tada! An almost finished front wall. Ok, so I cheated with the camera angle, so you can just make out where I'm short in the bottom right hand corner.


A little trimming to do on the left of the door (and I need to take an angle-grinder to the tie thingy to the left of the door) and three more planks on the lower wall, and one final strip along the top and the flashing and it's all done.


It's had a wash-coat of thinned wood treatment to seal it, but once the final pieces are in place, it will get two more coats of exterior varnish, and look a bit more like antique pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment