Thursday 7 May 2015

Kitchen Progress

Cracking on a-pace now.


The copper pipework is now in place and soldered up for the feed (via the cartridge filter) to the kitchen sink. 

I did have an 'oh shit' moment today in the facilities. When I developed and trialled the slow sand filter in 2013, I obviously set it up in such a way that the filter unit was on the right and my clearwell was on the left. There was no real reason for this other than I was pumping water from the drainage ditch to the right of me and draining off clean water to the left of me.

In the van, the water will be coming in from the left hand side and exiting to the right. No problem...reverse the plumbing to the butts. The inlet and outlet are mirror image. The connectors are plastic overflow tank/cistern connectors. No worries. 

Until, revisiting my connections, I realised I couldn't loosen any of them off as I solvent-welded all the threads for added watertightness. Doh! New 21.5mm connectors and tube to be re-fettled to reverse the tankage. I also have a drain off tap for the supernatent water in the filter unit that might just be in completely the wrong place...


On a more positive note, I managed to frame the second partition wall using some 2" x 2" timber. Not only that but stuffed and mounted it, painted it and anchored it to the ceiling tie. All looking (bar the cladding on this side) like the final structural layout now.


A little trimming required to sit neatly around the cable conduits and the skirting and all securely screwed into position.


Just some final tweaking to do, but the kitchenette is almost finished. Tiling of the splashback, final seating of the sink, the siliconing and floor finish to be done, doors to fit and we're good to go. Note the 5 litre bottle of water for brewing up. The company teaboat that I take to and from Portishead is now earning it's keep in here.


Just ignore all the random tools. Kettle, sink, mini-fridge for the milk and coffee makings are all in place and brewing up is happening. If I drink too much coffee, on the job, the loo is just next door. 


No comments:

Post a Comment