Thursday 25 August 2011

Astrid Update

Decided to get the rear wheel balancing done today. The vibration at speed seemed to be getting worse. Lucky I did...

Just before I left for the garage, I ran my hand round the inner edge of the NSR tyre, to find a huge chunk of rubber missing, and a patch so worn out that the canvas was hanging out!! No wonder I had a bit of back-end vibration above 65mph! Although the tyre was obviously fine for the MOT last Wednesday (in as much as there was more than the legal minimum tread over 80% of the width of the tyre) the inner edge was obviously more worn. On Friday last, there was an 'incident' in Guildford where I had to brake very hard and take evasive action when a car pulled out of a side turning without looking and into my path. I did lock up the rears (no ABS on this puppy) and slide to a halt, so I must have seriously flat-spotted the tyre. Once you have the flat spot, the balance is shot and the worn patch can only get worse. Just 300 miles since the MOT and the tyre was worn through.

RT's Tip of the Day: Check your tyres regularly, folks!

Took her in to my local tyre place for a new tyre, and decided to get both rears and the spare done at the same time. Astrid is now sporting five new tyres all round as I had the fronts done just prior to the MOT. Thanks to Phil and the team at Black Swan Tyres, Wrecclesham for their usual excellent on-the-spot service and great prices. A small local business (don't you just love it when you find a handy local supplier rather than having to resort to a national franchise) but one I would have no hesitation recommending. I've added a linky to them in my Tour Support Links. If you ever need tyres around Farnham, Surrey, these are the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment