Monday 5 August 2013

Happy Birthday

This afternoon completely out of the blue, I ended up having a great conversation with a lovely lady on another site who has put a smile on my face, given me a couple of belly laughs and just put my whole world to rights.

Funny, literate, engaging, interesting and entertaining...just a few of the adjectives I could use. Welsh? Naturally.

Ok, I'm English by birth, but have decided to move to a place I have fallen in love with over the last couple of years, and I feel such an affinity for the area that it's only natural that I should be looking for that special person here - and if not someone Welsh then at least someone like me who has adopted Wales as 'home').

There is another adjective I could use to describe her, but I won't...I'll keep that to myself. All I will say is that Myfanwy (the name has been changed to protect the innocent) is one of those people who make you realise that it is all worth it.

She said something to me today which touched my soul and just described what it is about where I live now that I couldn't have put any better...'in this world, but not of this world'. It's why I moved here...there is something about where I am now that seems almost magical at times.

Every silver lining has it's cloud, as they say. She lives several hours and a couple of hundred miles away by car (I know the journey well), the wrong side of the sign that says "Croeso i Loegr", but happens to live within an incredibly short hop of where I spent most of the first two thirds of my life. My parents and other family still live in that part of the world, so it's not beyond imagination that perhaps our paths may cross in passing at some point. I can imagine that putting the world to rights over a coffee or a glass of wine would be just like the conversation we had today, only with all the chuckles shared in 'real-time'. I also know that my old 'stamping ground' is in safe hands and she can rest assured that 'the land of her fathers' (if not my fathers) is being properly appreciated and respected by someone who has truly fallen in love with Wales.

Perhaps one day I will find someone I can truly fall in love with and maybe share my new life with, but right now it doesn't actually matter. I hope I made a new friend today, and that counts for a lot in my book.

Myfanwy also gave me the most wonderful birthday present today. It might not seeem like much, but it is something I will treasure. Confirmation that I made the right decision in deciding to quit my old life and move up here. I have had a few regrets in my time...but the biggest regret comes from looking back on the choices you should have made, but didn't.

I also have to thank Paddy and Sue for what turned out to be a rather enjoyable birthday. Not that they did anything out of the ordinary. But if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be here; if I wasn't here, I'd be back in Surrey.....and would have probably spent the day in A&E for one reason or another, like most birthdays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment